Monday, March 23, 2009

College Transcripts

Recently at the York Homeschool Convention I was asked about college transcripts and how you could relate your own material on them. I answered poorly because I hadn't thought of it before. I hadn't thought of it because, for one, my oldest is just now in 9th grade and with the two curriculum I've written he did them in 7th and 8th respectively and so it wasn't an issue. The second reason is that I have a very "interesting" mother-in-law and two parents who are former teachers and I have to provide descriptions of what the kids are doing in  "educationalese" for them.( makes family gatherings better) To answer the question now; in writing your own curriculum you have goals and you can evaluate if your child has met them on not. For college transcripts you just have to put the goals into "educationalese" and you'll be fine. In fact , I would have to argue better than fine because your curriculum filled in a gap with your child's education  or stretched them in a way that was needed, usually very creatively and colleges like that. The only other thought I have on this, and please, don't take this the wrong way, is if you are questioning how your own material will be received,it might be an issue that you undervalue your own gifts and talents.

No comments: