Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Why I homeschool

Why do I homeschool. I could go on for hours. I started for the simple Biblical reason that I wanted to guard what my little ones were exposed to. Why I homeschool now is so much more!! It's time for kids to play. It's time for me to have with them. It's books on tape in the car and discussions on the way to the grocery store. A friend, Shay Seabourne, has said: "There are no educational emergencies"And that is alot of why I homeschool. I see neighbors trying to get make-work and projects done on someone else's timeline and schedule.  We get things done in a way that fits our family and interests and use what works, tossing what doesn't. That means Katie makes a scrap book of Russia, Colin does research and has a discussion, Duncan answers written questions and Ian listens to an audiobook. Russia comes alive to each of the kids. Some people say that they have to learn how to do make work, as that is real life. I admit, sometimes it is, but when faced with work like that in a real setting, my kids do it.We just don't do it when we're trying to learn something.

No comments: