Thursday, October 16, 2008

Newly discovered "boy" books

Having grown up a girl then having three boys first, I have had to spend alot of time finding good"boy" books. Little House on the Prairie just does not hold as much appeal to my boys as it did to me. Boxcar children and Encyclopedia Brown went over well but I've had to really look.  I have very high standards for books. It doesn't have to be "High, classical literature" but I do need to want to read it, be able to read it aloud and want to tell someone else about it. I tend to skip formulaic books like the Magic Treehouse series and the Boxcar children series written after Gertrude Chandler Warner. Anyway, just discovered two new wonderful books. The Mad Scientist Club by Bertrand Brinkley. Wow! What a hoot! One funny adventure after another. Had me rolling with laughter and even the 14yo, who only wants to read facts, racing to read it.  The next is the Soup series by Richard Peck. How I ever missed these!! Wow! Funny! I was laughing so hard I had trouble reading it aloud to one of the twins! Great great books! 

No comments: